Building an rpm for a kernel version

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 24 15:02:51 UTC 2005

Dan Track wrote:
> Would anyone know what the macro is to define which kernel version is
> being run. Basically I want to build a module but I need the
> kernel-source to be the same as the currently installed and running
> kernel. I put in a "BuildPreReq: kernel-source" entry but it I can't
> verify whether the currently installed kernel-source version is the
> same as the currently running kernel version.

It'll be very difficult to do this with any dgree of portability. For
starters, there is no kernel-source package after FC2 (for FC3 you
probably just want a "kernel" dep, and for FC4 "kernel-devel"). Second,
the naming convention for SMP kernel RPMs means that just doing
something like "BuildRequires: kernel-source-%(uname -r)" won't work for
people running SMP kernels.

Paul.