FC3: Kernel panic- drivers/serial/8250

Chris McGookin groups at mcgookin.com
Wed Aug 24 18:28:45 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a new install of FC3 on a Packard Bell iMedia I4606 which gives a
kernel panic after the first yum upgrade. Nothing else has been added or
done to the system apart from install and the first yum...

The hardware is Celeron/ Intel 810E2 chipset with 82801BA/M I/O
controller (ICH2 -M)
Full hardware spec is at
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/m...nr=010694420286

The system works fine with the 2.6.9-1.681_FC3 kernel, however if I boot
it with upgraded 2.6.12-1.1372 kernel the system halts with the
message:-

"Kernel panic - not syncing: drivers/serial/8250.c:1305 spin_is locked
on uninitialized spinlock c047ed64. (Not tainted)"

Googling around there are a couple of similar bugzilla reports for both
FC3 and FC4 with no suggestions or resolution, there are also a few
other items relating to "Deadlock in serial driver 2.6.x" which look
relevant.

Has anyone else came across this or have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris