FC3 psychotic behavior

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 25 04:54:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 22:27 -0400, Marc M wrote:

> I have a machine that does some weird stuff with the mouse.

I've suffered the same problem before, with it randomly whizzing around
and left/right clicking as if possessed.  In my case, it appears to be a
combination of the motherboard and my mouse (I also had problems when
using Windows on the same hardware, though not as bad).  Running a PS/2
extension lead between computer and mouse made it worse, making me
wonder if the power to the mouse was inadequate, or poor shielding was
letting in RFI, or static from the cable being dragged across the desk
was spiking things (this is a real problem for some people).  i.e. I'm
certain it was hardware issues.

I swapped to using an USB mouse, and rarely see anything like it
anymore.  Now, occasionally the mouse will whizz around a bit if I
suddenly move it, but nothing worse.  I only have the acceleration
around half way, all the mouse settings are still on the initial
settings, so I don't think I've set anything badly.

I read messages from the public lists.