The newgrp command

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Aug 25 13:28:49 UTC 2005

Vidol Loeung wrote:
> Thanks. It's kind of short. However, it seems clear from this link
> (http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_04.html) that a user can
> use newgrp command successfully only if the new group (s)he would like to
> switch to is already a secondary group for the user.

That's true for switching without needing a password.  If the group does
have a password, a user who is _not_ a member of that group should be
able to switch to that group by supplying the password.  It works fine
for me in FC-3.  Perhaps it's an SELinux issue.  I have SELinux disabled
on my system.  Check your logs for AVC messages.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.