how smart will wireless be in FC5?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Aug 25 14:26:33 UTC 2005

Jack Howarth wrote:

>    Does anyone know if the following will be possible in FC5? I
> am interested in being able to set up a portable Linux box such
> that if the ethernet interface is available the internet access
> will be used through eth0 otherwise the wireless interface will be used.

Isn't that more or less what NetworkManager is meant to do?

Having said that, NM does not work on my laptop -
or at least it didn't last time I tried a few weeks ago.
That is necessary to say, since NM seems to be developing
at an unusually swift rate,
with improvements or at least alterations almost every day.

As far as I could see, my PCMCIA WiFi card (classic Orinoco Gold)
cannot go into Monitor mode, as required by NM.
That may be a mis-diagnosis;
but in any case I couldn't see a local WiFi hotspot
which was visible under Windows-2000 on the same machine.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366