ssh -X [host] problems

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Thu Aug 25 23:40:49 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 13:15 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> On my laptop I'm running FC4. I have a server running CentOS 4. I
> connect to this server using ssh -X [host] and then run some apps. One
> of the apps I run is firefox, but when connecting to this system it acts
> very strange.
>
> For example, I'll ssh -X host and connect. Then if I try and run firefox
> it doesn't run on the remote machine and send the display, it actually
> runs the one on my laptop.

This is a "feature" of the browser, since the Netscape days. If there is
a browser running already on your X display, requests to start the same
browser will just use the one already running.

So to truly run the browser on the remote machine only, be sure to shut
down all instances of it on the local machine first.

Cheers, Ben