FC3 psychotic behavior (mouse problems)

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Fri Aug 26 12:09:31 UTC 2005

I have encountered the same kinds of mouse problems in two ways.  One is
when I use my KVM switch to change my keyboard and screen to an older
machine and then switch back to my FC3 machine.  I use separate mice for
the machines, but I get the erratic behavior.  There is nothing wrong
with the KVM switch (a Belkin 4-port).  The problem did not occur under
RH 9 and started when I upgraded to FC3.  It occurred on a third machine
on which I first installed FC1.  Fedora Core somehow does not play well
with KVM switches in the way RH9 did.

I get a similar problem on my laptop that has a Synaptics touchpad.  If
I plug in a PS2 mouse, the problem does not happen.  This problem did
occur with RH9 on the laptop when the screen awakened after having gone
to sleep due to inactivity while on battery.  It now happens with FC3 as
long as I am using the machine without the PS2 mouse whether on AC or
battery.

Stan Klein