User rights to update /var/www/

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Fri Aug 26 13:38:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 09:19 -0400, James Pifer wrote:
> I have a new development server built to replace a Windows IIS server. I
> have a few users who update the web server over ftp through some
> developer application. On Windows I ran a small ftp server and they
> would do their updates. On the new server I have vsftpd running. What is
> the proper way to give them access to upload and overwrite files
> to /var/www?
>
> All the stuff (google and howtos) I'm finding on vsftpd is dealing with
> users getting to their home directories rather than another place in the
> file structure.
>
> Should I look at a different ftp server? wu-ftpd or proftpd? Still have
> the file rights issue I think.
>
> Other suggestions?

Read the man  page for vsftpd, and also read the documentation within
vsftpd.conf.

There are ways to give users the ability to move around in the
filesystem and write permissions elsewhere than in their own home
directories.

Remember though, anything you weaken in the built-in security may affect
your server in the long run.