make X start always after reboot

mnikhil m mnikhil.juno at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:35:48 UTC 2005

Hi

I want to make my X run always after reboot by default and currently
my default runlevel is 3 in /etc/inittab, which I do not want to
change.

id:3:initdefault:

It sometimes happens that I need to go to runlevel5 for X.
instead of changing runlevel, what I wanted is make X run in runlevel3.
what if I do this in my /etc/inittab, will it be valid

-x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon
+x:35:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

please observe "35" not "3" not "5". I mean can I place them like that
together in my /etc/inittab file or is that there should be only
either of them to be present to make it a valid inittab file.

Regards.