Accented characters on FC3

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Fri Aug 26 16:18:49 UTC 2005

Stéphane Bruno wrote:
> Hello,
<snip>
> Now, the problem I have is that I cannot produce the "c cédille" on
> Linux, which is the letter c with a comma-like sign underneath it,
I'm using Norwegian keyboard layout, but we also use letters with
accents (though not nearly as extensively as in French). To produce the
cédille on my keyboard, I press 'Alt Gr'+',' then the letter 'c' or 'C',
like this: ç Ç =). 'Alt gr' is my right Alt key. The 'Alt gr'+','
combination constitutes what is known as a "dead-key", because no output
is immediately seen without subsequently pressing another regular key.
Xev tells me that 'Alt Gr' has the keysym "ISO-Level3-Shift", which
makes sense. There is also another approach using the "Compose" key,
which I think will also work if your layout does not use dead keys,
though I am not sure about this. I can produce the cédille by also
pressing: 'Shift'+'Alt-gr', then the first part of the composition ',',
then the letter 'c' or 'C', like this: ç Ç. The 'Shift'+'Alt gr'
combination has the keysym 'Multi_Key'.

Øyvind.
--
< Øyvind Stegard < oyvinst at ifi uio no >
  < http://www.oyvind.nu/