cyrus vs UW imap

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Aug 26 19:31:31 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 13:13, T. Horsnell wrote:
>

>>When we addressed these
>>issues, mail response improved dramatically, even with the
>>compatible-but-horribly-slow mbox format (which we maintain
>>partly because of inertiia and partly because many users
>>want to read their mail with different mailers depending
>>where they are)
>>

>I've had the same kind of inertia and was wondering if it
>would be possible to configure dovecot to read mbox format
>in the spool directory but read and create maildir format
>in additional folders?   Or to configure delivery per user
>with .procmailrc files and have dovecot figure out which
>format to use on the fly?

Part of the install process of the RPM could be improved to include
mailbox migration in an automated format...  And perhaps automatically
creating mailboxes for everyone with a uid >= 500 (whether they
currently have a mailbox or not).

Installing Outlook, Netscape, Thunderbird... all try to import mailboxes.
Why not for cyrus as well?  The integration would sendmail and spamassassin
could be better, too (assuming that one isn't using a milter, that is).

Personally I like the way Cyrus works, but on the other hand the learning
curve initially is steeper than it has to be.

Having nested mailboxes rocks.  Too bad dovecot doesn't support that.

-Philip