Install message "no driver found"

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Aug 27 04:41:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 18:23 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 17:39 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
> >

> >>Tried all of those options, but it made no difference.  When I go
> >>to vty3 or vty4, doing shft-page-up doesn't work... so I can't scroll
> >>through all of the output.  Sigh.
> >>
> >>I'll try "noprobe" next.
> >>
> >>Sure would help if I could tell if the missing driver was for the
> >>graphics card or the disk controller or... whatever.
> >>

> >----
> >and evidently no reports of a kernel panic
> >
> >just out of curiousity - did you run the mediacheck on that boot disk?
> >
> >Craig
> >

> The failure happens before it gets that far, unfortunately.
>
> It asks me for the keyboard type and language, then the installation
> method... then tells me I'm missing a driver...
>
> All of that happens before the mediacheck is done.  I've booted with
> "linux mediacheck" and it made no difference.
>
> I'm booting from DVD on the FC3.i386 disk...
>
> Too bad there's no way to enable additional debugging output.
>
> Not a very handy message.
----
sounds like a bad cd or a bad drive - possibly just incompatible

you can compute the md5sum of the disk in other ways - like from Windows
or Linux. How/where did you get the disk?

if you burned the cd in Windows you can use this URL to help figure if
the CD is good...
<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?
action=viewarticle&artid=436>

linux, you can just type -c md5sum /dev/hdc #substitute for a different
device

If you burn on one device and try to install on another, sometimes
burning at a slower speed helps and of course, there's always a
possibility that the drive/box/fedora are not working together and the
following might be appropriate...

did you try this (from fedorafaq)?

Q: The installer's media check says all my CDs are bad!
A: There is a bug in the kernel which causes the media check to say all
CDs are bad, on some systems. To do a successful media check, do the
following:
     1. At the installer prompt, type:

        linux mediacheck nocddma

     2. Run the media check on your CDs/DVD.
     3. Reboot, and run the installer normally.