Early login problem

Zoltan Boszormenyi zboszor at freemail.hu
Sat Aug 27 13:38:47 UTC 2005

Hi!

I just installed an FC4 and I thought I try early login.
However, I was impatient and now early login does not work.

This was the order of things I did:

Full install.

Reboot. But as being impatient, I didn't give a chance to
'firstboot' to run first, I booted into single mode.

I ran 'chkconfig gdm-allow-login on' and 'chkconfig gdm-early-login on',
replaced 'rhgb' with 'early-login' in grub.conf.

Rebooted. Now 'firstboot' ran and I created a user.
However, logging in failed with an error message:
"Cannot start the session due to some internal error."
I tried both GNOME and KDE without any success.

Rebooting with option 'rhgb' I was able to login.

I rebooted with option 'early-login'. X tried to start about three
times before it succeeded. Login gave the above error again.

Some research showed that I have to modify the startup scripts of
xfs and syslog and regenerate the links under /etc/rc.d/rc?.d
to start them earlier. I did that, too, and rebooted.
X started up successfully, GDM showed a nice spinning circle and
a message: "Booting". Login gave the above error again.

Now I am back to RHGB, but I would like to switch on early login
if someone could help me further. What config files should I look at?

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi