Running ntp on LAN

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Aug 27 14:58:28 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>> I have ntpd running perfectly on my desktop,
>> and now I'd like to set the time on my laptop
>> and other machines on my little LAN
>> from the desktop.
>>
>> However, I haven't succeeded in this,
>> and while I have read a number of interesting NTP tutorials,
>> I haven't seen any which discuss what must be
>> quite a common request, particularly now
>> with everyone constructing a home LAN.
>>
>> I've added
>>        restrict 192.168.3.0 mask 255.255.255.0 notrust nomodify notrap
>
> Get rid of the "notrust" option. It changed its meaning and breaks
> working as a server.

Thanks, I did that, but it wasn't enough.

In the end it seemed to be a problem with file permissions.

I'll write a tiny HOWTO when I've tested it on another laptop,
as I didn't find anything devoted to this topic -
getting the time on a home LAN from a single machine
connected to an external time-server -
in my trawl through NTP documentation.

--
Timothy Murphy