FC4 KUDZU Problems

Roger Skildum cowchaser at axs.net
Sun Aug 28 01:03:16 UTC 2005

Hi, First I have a ABIT AV8 Motherboard with a AMD-64 3000+.   I just
installed Fedora Core 4, 32 bit version, and am having Modem problems.

  I have a External serial Motorola ModemSURFR so should not have any
problems.

The installation did not find the modem and just running Kudzu does not
eather.  It is not listed in   /etc/sysconfig/hwconf at all.  If I tell kudzu
to scan the serial port by running "kudzu -b serial" it will find and
configure the modem which will then work but then it un-configures everthing
else.  If I run kudzu again normally it disables the modem.  At first I
thought that it must be running in safe mode which disables scanning the
serial port as well as DCC and PS/2.  But just running kudzu does probe the
DCC bus so that must not be it.  I am not sure but this is a change from FC3
but I have noticed that Kudzu does not act like it used to in that if you
remove a piece of hardware it will not ask if you want to remove or keep the
configuration.  I thought this might be a change to improve boot speed but
then I noticed a post where someone wanted to know how to didable this
feature in FC4.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any ideas as to what might be going on?  Is
there a way to configure the modem that Kudzu will not mess with?
Thanks for any help
Roger