ATI propriety driver: no 3D

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 28 02:12:30 UTC 2005

Markku Kolkka wrote:

>Markku Kolkka kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 21.
>elokuuta 2005 14:28):
>

>>A.J. Bonnema kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 21.
>>
>>elokuuta 2005 05:35):
>>

>>>Thank you for the tip. I was able to yum install
>>>ati-fglrx.x86_64 from livna.
>>>

>>That's the old driver version, 8.14.13. The new 8.16.20
>>drivers aren't yet available from livna.
>>

>Sorry, I was posting based on stale cahced info, the 8.16.20 are
>now in the repo. X800 series cards are supported according to
>the ATI release notes, so the problem is elsewhere. Did you
>install the kernel-module-fglrx-`uname -r` package?

Ahh yes, that was the problem: I should have recounted it her. I found
out by accident, because a bootup screen stalled, so that I could
actually *read* the messages -- and this was one of them. I have been
using Torcs and FreedroidRPG for while now and it works extremely well.
Thanks for your hint.

What I wondered about though is some messages during bootup don't appear
in any log.  This particular message scrolled by so fast, that usually I
could not read it. Only one time, for some reason it stalled, so I read
the message and I immediately went looking for the kernel-module, I
found it, installed it, reboot and it worked! That was real nice!

Ok, so the question is:

1. Why don't all messages during bootup appear in some log?
    I have searched the logs, like dmesg, message.log and XOrg.0.log,
but nothing was there. The only file I could not search, because it was
too big was lastlog.
    Does anyone know how to search a file for which grep reports a
memory error?
2. Why are the two driver-packages ati-fglrx and kernel-module-fglrx not
dependent on each other?
    I am probably not the first one to be ignorent of this connection.

Guus  - I know, so much questions, so little time......

--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)