FC4 upgrade fails with megaraid

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 28 03:59:20 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 18:52 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I've got most of my FC2 system on a RAID-mounted array using the megaraid
> driver, as /dev/sda1. When I go to start the FC4 upgrade, it tells me it
> can't find the device, and indeed /dev lacks any sd entries. What's going
> on? How do I proceed?
-----
which megaraid?

not mentioned in any of the fedora release notes but I have become very
familiar with RHEL/CentOS 4.0 installation of older megaraid drivers and
I would suspect that FC-4 would track accordingly. See this clip from
RHEL 4 release notes...

The kernel shipped with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 includes the new
megaraid_mbox driver from LSI Logic, which replaces the megaraid driver.
The megaraid_mbox driver has an improved design, is compatible with the
2.6 kernel, and includes support for the latest hardware. However,
megaraid_mbox does not support some of the older hardware that was
supported by the megaraid driver.

Adapters with the following PCI vendor ID and device ID pairs are not
supported by the megaraid_mbox driver:

vendor, device

0x101E, 0x9010
0x101E, 0x9060
0x8086, 0x1960

The lspci -n command can be used to display the IDs for adapters
installed in a particular machine. Products with these IDs are known by
(but not limited to) the following model names:

      * Dell PERC (dual-channel fast/wide SCSI) RAID controller

      * Dell PERC2/SC (single-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller

      * Dell PERC2/DC (dual-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller

      * Dell CERC (four-channel ATA/100) RAID controller

      * MegaRAID 428

      * MegaRAID 466

      * MegaRAID Express 500

      * HP NetRAID 3Si and 1M

Both Dell and LSI Logic have indicated that they no longer support these
models in the 2.6 kernel. As a result, these adapters are not supported
in Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

and advise if your megaraid controller is one of these listed - I may be
able to point you to a work around.

Craig