OT - my domain must have become a spammer's source

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 28 04:06:30 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 21:00 -0700, oldman wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>
> >I have long had a catchall box for my domain without too much issue -
> >spamassassin has handled the load.
> >
> >Apparently - starting at some point today, I am getting several hundred
> >rejects an hour with apparently random_name at azapple.com as the sender
> >and thus the bounce backs/rejects are coming to me.
> >
> >I can filter them with sieve but I am wondering if there's a way to know
> >how/where these things are originating from and if there's likely any
> >reprecussions from this mess.
> >
> >Craig
> >

>     As I'm sure you realize this is probably some acquaintance of yours,
> who has your E-Mail address in Outlook and has some nasty Adware or
> virus on his system as well.  Unfortunately, unless you want to collect
> all of your bounces and try to figure out who you know that collects
> bazillions of e-mail addresses, it is unlikely that you will ever find
> out.  I got lucky once when I received a bounce from the Navy and from a
> distant relative, so the person had to know both of us and have both our
> e-mail addresses (luckily (?) I don't have a lot of family that I talk
> to regularly and it was relatively (no pun intended) to figure out the
> culprit and get his box fixed.  Good Luck
---
I've had that before (other windows users that had me in their address
books when they got some Windows worm/virus) but never has the
consequence been rejections in terms of several hundred per hour. Also -
the sender is not my return address but
some_apparently_random_sender at my_domain.com which comes to me because of
the catchall aspect - and I now have sieve siphoning this all off -
which I have never had to do before because it was never anything close
to this extreme.

Craig