need help. problem w/ hardware detection on FC3

Joe Byrne curl at nospam.joebyrne.org
Sun Aug 28 15:31:18 UTC 2005

Help!  My machine is rendered nearly inoperable by a hardware swap.  It can't see my USB Ethernet interface and it thinks my DVB card is an Ethernet card.  How do I straighten it out?

Background
=======

My machine had an Ethernet card.  Everything was fine.  My objective was to remove the card, put a DVB card in the slot, and use a USB Ethernet interface.  What I did was install the USB Ethernet dongle.  It was autodetected at boot.  I configured it and disabled the installed card.  At reboot, the default route was through the USB interface.  Everything was fine.

Next, I removed the Ethernet card and inserted the DVB card.  Upon boot, the Ethernet card was detected as missing, and the DVB card was detected.

Unfortunately, (1) the machine thinks the DVB card is and Ethernet card, and (2) The USB dongle is not detected as being present (although its lights are on, I verified it as working on another machine, and my USB kb & mouse work).

I'm running Fedora Core 3 on x86.  Probably a 2.6.10 kernel.  If I could ssh in, I could tell for sure.

JB