VSFTP - Adding Users

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 17:31:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 08:17, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to config VSFTP to accept log-ins from the outside world.
> I do not want to enable anonymous FTP - I would like to create a bunch
> of users - one for each member of the family, to be able to acces a
> certain directory structure from a window$ FTP client.
>
> Where do I create these users?
>
> Is there a more friendly, GUI FTP server?
>
> Is symlinks a good startegy to share the directories?

The usual approach is to create system users which will allow
them to use the same login for ssh/email/etc. instead of
doing something special for each application.  This creates
a private home directory for each user, but after logging
in they can cd to other directories where the access permissions
allow it.   You can also share the directories via samba so
windows users can map their home directories and other areas,
although in this case you need to also run smbpasswd for
each because windows passwords are encrypted in a different way.

If you don't use samba, you might like winscp which gives
windows users a GUI file transfer interfaces but works
with ssh on the server side.  It is more secure and doesn't
take any extra setup other than adding users and making
sure that ssh works.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com