PCAnywhere in Linux

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 17:50:07 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-27 at 22:26, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2005 10:11, Rik Thomas wrote:
> > mgetty is what you need, I found a few decent looking tutorials:
> >
> > http://www.swcp.com/~jgentry/pers.html  looks like the most complete
> > with plenty of references.  I have done this before an it is quite easy.
> > I would definitely not plan on running X over a dialup, it will be
> > utterly painful.  If you must use a very light, light Xwindows
> > environment.  I would recommend fluxbox http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Good luck.
> Thanks Rik for the great hints.
> After a second thought, text connection, since all we want to do is
> troubleshoot a dosemu environment in our branches.

You can set mgetty up so it will allow a serial-port text login
from something like minicom or kermit, but also will auto-detect
ppp connections so you would have your choice of which type
of access you wanted from the same modem.   Also, if the
locations involved have internet connections that are faster
than dialup you might want to set up a vpn or allow ssh
logins over it.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com