Pls guide me to keep up with new version (from Fedora Core 3 to 4)

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri at cbn.net.id
Mon Aug 29 08:19:51 UTC 2005

On Monday 29 August 2005 13:58, Jack Ling wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I've Fedora Core 3 installed in my system. Using quite happily. But I also
> want to try and use Fedore Core 4.
>
> If I were to install on the same partition, will it affect the functioning
> of my current configurrations, e.g. xoops , mysql , apache servers etc.?
> Will it re-initialize everything?
>
> Alternatively, if I were to install on another partition. Is it ideal
> (keeping fc3 and 4 working nicely and separately)? But then, my
> server/application configuration will need to be re-done again on fc4...
>
> This will be an ongoing problem as new versions will be coming about
> half-yearly. While I want my "production" version to run stably, I also
> want to keep up with new technologies...What would be the best way?

The best thing is to install it on separate partition. Of course, you'll need
to configure everything again. Well, you can just copy paste the confs from
the previous version, but you'd risk losing the new feature from the new
version.

In your case, I'd suggest that you keep an exact copy of machine of your
production server. Then you can experiment anything on this test bed.

I'd suggest you try that scenario, and then try to upgrade the older version
on another machine, and if you find that the result is satisfactory you can
apply it on the production server.
--
Fajar Priyanto | Reg'd Linux User #327841 | http://linux2.arinet.org
15:19:51 up 7:11, 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 GNU/Linux