Fedora workstation...for the living room?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Aug 29 15:33:05 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 29.08.2005, 16:01 +0200 schrieb M. Fioretti:
> 1) Case must be Antec Aria:
>    http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=08130
>    (it's the only one I know which *would* fit in the custom desk I
>    have to build, lets me choose any motherboard up to microATX, can
>    fit more than one HD if needed, has front usb/firewire/SD card
>    connector, accepts full-height PCI cards)

You might use a shuttle G85 / G95 (AMD 64) or an AOpen EY 855 (Pentium
M). Both are very silent. The AOpen is better in term of silence, but
the integrated Intel graphics and its integrated soundchip don't
cooperate well with Linux. Both shuttles work work without any problem
with Linux. A second HD can be installed instead of a floppy/card
reader.

> 2) the whole thing must be always _silent_ and, at least when in idle
>    mode, it should dissipate as little power as possible (< 50
>    W?). Even when at 100% CPU usage, it shouldn't require a separate
>    power plant, please.

Not much to do with Linux.

You may select a motherboard which supports Intels Pentium M (AOpen or
MSI deliver one) or for an AMD 64 / nForce 3 chip set with rather a low
processor speed. AMD 3200+ (i.e. 2.2 GHz) does not dissipate so much
heat, esp. when running idle, but has some power for the video editing
tasks.

Peter