Fedora workstation...for the living room?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at mclink.it
Mon Aug 29 17:12:39 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 17:33:05 PM +0200, Peter Boy
(pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de) wrote:
> Am Montag, den 29.08.2005, 16:01 +0200 schrieb M. Fioretti:
> > 1) Case must be Antec Aria:
>
> You might use a shuttle G85 / G95 (AMD 64) or an AOpen EY 855 (Pentium
> M).

They need *custom* motherboards, don't they? I mentioned that I want
to avoid that, it would be just as limiting as a laptop when it's time
to replace/repair/upgrade.

> > 2) the whole thing must be always _silent_ and, at least when in idle
> >    mode, it should dissipate as little power as possible (< 50
> >    W?). Even when at 100% CPU usage, it shouldn't require a separate
> >    power plant, please.
>
> Not much to do with Linux.

Really? I asked because some years ago this was one of the arguments
in favour of Linux, that is the fact that, when nobody was using the
PC, the software would not throttle the CPU as much as Windows. How do
things stand now?

> You may select a motherboard which supports Intels Pentium M (AOpen or
> MSI deliver one) or for an AMD 64 / nForce 3 chip set with rather a low
> processor speed.

Well, what I wanted to know is (also) exactly which micro-atx
motherboards with the CPU/chipset you mention work 100% under Fedora.

TIA,
	Marco
--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

Knowledge is not information, it's transformation- Osho