Fedora workstation...for the living room?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Mon Aug 29 17:44:44 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 29.08.2005, 19:12 +0200 schrieb M. Fioretti:
> They need *custom* motherboards, don't they? I mentioned that I want
> to avoid that, it would be just as limiting as a laptop when it's time
> to replace/repair/upgrade.
They do, yes. But they are known to work now. When it is time to upgrade
the hardware, the additional cost of a new case might be neglected (you
will have to exchange parts of the case as the fans anyway). And
compared the the laptop model: the price ranges are quite different. The
shuttle case including motherboard might be less expensive as the
separate items.

> > > 2) the whole thing must be always _silent_ and, at least when in idle
> > >    mode, it should dissipate as little power as possible (< 50
> > >    W?). Even when at 100% CPU usage, it shouldn't require a separate
> > >    power plant, please.
> >
> > Not much to do with Linux.
>
> Really? I asked because some years ago this was one of the arguments
> in favour of Linux, that is the fact that, when nobody was using the
> PC, the software would not throttle the CPU as much as Windows. How do
> things stand now?

With Fedora an kernel 2.6 my laptop (IBM) as well as my Shuttle are
running cooler (and with less noise) as with Windows. The SpeedStep
module works perfectly. But you need the bios to support it. So the
motherboard is a critical item.

> Well, what I wanted to know is (also) exactly which micro-atx
> motherboards with the CPU/chipset you mention work 100% under Fedora.

For a general comparison of motherboards I found Tom's Hardware Guide
(www.tomshardware.com) quite informative. Personally I can only report
about my experiences. The Shuttle models as mentioned work perfectly
(other models are worse), the Pentium M aOpen reasonable.

Peter