FC4 wireless help

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 29 21:11:00 UTC 2005

I'm guessing you're thinking about a laptop? If that's
the case, the people smarter than me are gonna tell
you to use card based on orinoco chipset (why do I
always start singing "sail away, sail away,... when I
hear that? it's a song.. "orinoco flow" sorry really
bad joke.)

Or Prism2 based chipset. I guess Cisco Aironet also,
but I've also read people having more trouble with
those.

Prism2 and Orinoco cards support more advanced
features like packet sniffing and stuff. Useful for
'wardriving'.

I get by using my Broadcom 4309 via ndiswrapper. works
with 54g on wep 128 at home; or I can easily connect
to open networks where ever I find them.

The broadcom came built into my laptop and it wasn't
too hard to setup with ndiswrapper  onceI understood
what I was doing.

Still, I would look for Prism2 or Orinoco based card.
I don't know what brands use those, but i do know
you'll need to check the specific model to be sure
which it uses. wifi manufacturers do change chipsets
sometimes.

--- Chethiya K Ranaweera <ckranaweera at gmail.com>