Groups and AD Groups etc

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Tue Aug 30 15:22:48 UTC 2005

This is a multipart question,

1. I have discovered the groupadd command to create a new group on my
FC3 server, what command do I use to add users to that group -- I need
to do it from the command line because some of the users I must add are
Active Directory users from samba, and the only way that I have found to
make things in linux recognize them is to supply the UID through command
line (commands like chown and chgrp).  This appears to be because there
is no user in linux, only the ones that are being authenticated against
the AD domain server.

What I need to accomplish is this:

I have a folder in the website called attend (it's a folder to put our
attendance reports in so that the teachers can view them)

Right now, its owned by MCASCHOOL\TIMHOLEMS (uid 15000) the group is
apache (thereby giving the webserver access to it)

I need to add an active directory user (MCASCHOOL\HGERM) (uid 15068) to
the apache group, or alternatively create a different group that
includes the apache user and that user as well as a couple others, so
that they can publish to it etc.

Thanks

TIM

Timothy A. Holmes

IT Manager / Webmaster / Computer Teacher

Medina Christian Academy
A Higher Standard...

Jeremiah 33:3
Jeremiah 29:11