howto disable floppy drive

Roberto Felloni roberto.felloni at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:26:23 UTC 2005

Hi list.

I have tried to remove (with fstab-sync) settings on fstab for my floppy,
bat without results.
On fstab-sync man page I have read syntax to remove media,
but I don't understand wat's UDI and where I can find it.

---- man fstab-sync ----------------------------------------------------------
fstab-sync --remove=UDI
      Remove an entry from fstab by giving a HAL
      Unique Device Identifier
---- man fstab-sync ----------------------------------------------------------

I have tried replacing UDI with
- /dev/fd0
- fd0
- /media/floppy
- floppy

and any cases return to me error on a library.

less /etc/fstab :
-------------------
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/hdc1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdb                /media/cdrom            auto
pamconsole,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Any proposal are appreciated.
Many thanks.

2005/8/30, akonstam at trinity.edu <akonstam at trinity.edu>:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:53:58PM +0200, Roberto Felloni wrote:
> > Hi to all.
> >
> > The boot of my server FC3 is too slow.
> >
> > Watching messages log I believe than the mounting of floppy drive
> > are the cause.
> >
> > I wanna try to disable mounting floppy during boot.
> > Someone can tell me how to make this ?
> >
> > Many thanks and sorry for my english.
> That is what the noauto in the option field of the floppy line in the
> /etc/fstab does. However, you can't just insert that option in the
> file since the floppy is managed by fstab-sync. Look at the fstab-sync
> documentation and see where to put i in the fstab-sync configuration
> files. You might use as a model the noauto option you should have on
> the cdrom line in the fstab file.
> --

> I've already got a female to worry about.  Her name is the Enterprise.
>                 -- Kirk, "The Corbomite Maneuver", stardate 1514.0

bye by fellons