Cheap way to practice clustering?

James Montz James.Montz at midwestwireless.com
Wed Aug 31 14:24:26 UTC 2005

If you just want to play and learn with Failover, you don't have to have
a multi-host aware storage solution.

I have a couple of test servers setup, just using their local disk for
storage.  I have setup several services (httpd, sendmail, imap, and
virtual IP) to fail over between the two servers, and has suited my
needs.  And if you really wanted to test an external storage source, you
could use an NFS mount.

The only difference in a production environment will be the presence of
the storage system, and this is basically just handled by defining the
shared file system as a shared resource.