Bad magic number during fsck

Smugzilla smugzilla at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 31 14:39:59 UTC 2005

Something really strange happened to my FC3 server running ext3 a few
days ago. It logged a "journal commit I/O error" and things started
getting screwy. The system isn't frozen, but my man pages are gone and I
can't get "ls" to show me anything. I tried running fsck last night and
got the following response:

[root at bender ~]# fsck
fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)
e2fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)
/: recovering journal
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to re-open /
e2fsck: io manager magic bad!

Then this morning, while typing up this message I tried fsck again and
got:

[root at bender ~]# fsck
fsck 1.36 (05-Feb-2005)
fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'LABEL=/'

I'm in way over my head here. Is there any way for me to fix my file
system, either using fsck or with Knoppix, or should I just backup as
much data as I can and reinstall the OS? And just as important, does
anyone know how this might have happened in the first place?

By the way, "ls" doesn't work for root, but it does work for other
users.

Thanks,
Pete S.