Implementing networked /home

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Wed Aug 31 16:39:20 UTC 2005

Hello,
I have several linux (FC and Redhat) workstations. I am thinking of
implementing a centralized /home for this workstations,using NFS.
Authentication is done using NIS.
I have several questions about how to implement this, and what's the best way.

Here are the options I'm considering:
1. On the server: export /home. On the clients: mount /home. I know how to do
this. This should be the simplest.
2. On the server, export /home/user1, /home/user2, etc, thus for each user
there is a "export line" for that user home directory. On the clients:
mount /home/username whenever username login to that workstation.

What is the advantages or disadvantages of (1) and (2) ? I have seen (2) being
used on some network (that I don't administer), so I am wondering if this is
the usual best practice. Furthermore I'm not sure I know how to do (2). Is
there a PAM module that do this ? I have also read that a lot of mount points
can put heavy load on the server, so I am not sure if (2) is better.

Any suggestions, or pointers is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
RDB