NO ADSL with kernel-smp 2.6.12-1.1376_FC3

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 16:49:05 UTC 2005

Antonio Montagnani wrote:
> Does specifying acpi=ht on the SMP kernel command line make any
> difference?  It probably defeats the purpose of SMP.

and:
> and furthermore prevents from poweroff .... :-(

Shouldn't do. In general, one doesn't need ACPI for SMP.

You probably don't, either. You can check /proc/cpuinfo: it should show
two CPUs if you've got SMP working.

acpi=ht turns ACPI off for most things, but keeps enough to enable
hyperthreading. It sounds like there's a bug somewhere in ACPI (probably
in your motherboard support).

Stupid idea: I forget whether your Ethenet card is built-in or a
physical card. If it's physically separate, try it in different PCI
slots. That should get it different PCI level IRQs: the ACPI IRQ routing
might work for a different PCI IRQ.

As for the poweroff, you need APM or ACPI for this to work. APM doesn't
work in SMP mode (there's a line in the kernel messages you posted
saying as much), and you've just turned off ACPI for nearly everything.

You will probably have turned off hibernation support and *possibly*
some power-saving support when you disabled ACPI. Otherwise, you really
don't need it unless you've got *really* unusual kit.[1]

James.
[1] I think some Itanium servers rely on it...
--
E-mail address: james | ... where the teams bring a completely new definition
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | to the word 'entertainment', while retaining the full,