OT: DNS Failover

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Aug 31 17:11:12 UTC 2005

> If you are looking for failover of the looked-up addresses, in many
> cases you can always give out multiple addresses by including them
> as A records for the same name.  Browsers seem to be very good at
> failing over on the client side if some of the returned addresses
> don't work.

Have you had success at that?  I've found that Windows clients tend to
cache DNS results no matter what your TTL is, and to only use the first IP
address they get until their internal cache expires.  You basically have
to run ipconfig /flushdns to make a Windows box dump the IP address and
re-query the DNS server.

Thomas