Setting Up Linksys Wireless Internet with Fadora

Josh Coffman josh_coffman at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 18:37:20 UTC 2005

--- yanni335 at aol.com wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance but to be honest I don't know
> the version of Fedora.  It's not my computer it is
> my roomates and I am just trying to help him out.
> The hardware it has a desktop with a Linksys
> Wireless - G Adapter.
>
> -John

Would your roommate know what to do? At any rate, I
run Fedora Core 4 on my laptop wth wireless G, but my
wifi adapter requires windows drivers so I had to use
Ndiswrapper.

Assuming the hardware is already setup. There are gui
tool for setting the key:
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/config-tools/redhat-config-network.html

This was included with my install of FC4. I don't
remember which exactly where, but if you/he looks
through the menus, you'll find one for configuring the
network.
(Oh, I'm also assuming he's running the Gnome desktop
since that's the default. The UI will be different for
other desktops.)

It will have all the known adapters listed, but you
may have to add the wireless. It's pretty easy, then
you configure it and specify setting like encryption
key.

Someone will need to know the root password to change
network settings. Oh, one tip is to set the wireless
to connect on boot.

There are also command line tool: wireless-tools. I'm
guessing you won't want to use them, but it's not
hard:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html

basic network commands:
http://openskills.info/topic.php?ID=194