Strange init 3 behavior,

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Aug 31 22:06:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 06:54:09PM +0100, Andy Green wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 August 2005 13:44, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> > As I keep telling my students you need to ask even it shows your
> > ignorance. Maybe it is the early hour but I don't know how to try the
> > 'vesa' X driver or even what the 'vesa' X driver is. I would like to
> > know what it is if it potentially will solve our problem.
> > Could you clarify?
>
> Yep.  X is the graphical display system, it keeps its configuration
> in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> If you make a backup of that, then have a look in there, you'll see it is made
> up of various stanzas which talk about your keyboard, mouse, monitor, display
> adapter and "screens", which are the association of these other things into a
> single monitor.
>
> You want to look for this:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Driver      "mydriver"
> EndSection
>
> mydriver is the name of your current X video driver.  Comment out the old
> Driver line with a #
>
> #    Driver    "mydriver"
>
> and add in the vesa driver instead
>
>       Driver "vesa"
>
> underneath it.  Then save the file and restart X (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace will do
> it if you saved your stuff and are on VT7 (Ctrl-Alt-F7)).
>
> Now you should come up reasonably as before, but you are using a very boring,
> 'safe' driver with no real accelleration.  If the behaviours that you don't
> like persist, now you can rule out the X display driver as the source.  But
> perhaps the behaviours will be gone, in which case you know it is likely
> coming from your old X display driver, whatever that was.
>
> -Andy
I could try this but the same behavior occurs on machines that have
a wide variety of drivers being used (nvidea, intel, etc). For example
my machine has a  ATI Technologies Inc. R128 video card and uses the
r128 driver. It is hard to believe all these drivers have the same
bug.

I am the mother of all things, and all things should wear a sweater.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484