Partitioning problem with windows vs. linux

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Wed Aug 31 22:47:49 UTC 2005

On Wednesday, August 31, 2005 3:45 PM, Michael Wiktowy wrote:

>So somehow w2k is getting seriously confused on my system ...
>turning on /bootlog and /sos in w2k boot.ini and removing
>/fastdetect was not illuminating. I took dd snapshots at each
>step with Knoppix. Does anyone know of a good hexeditor that I
>could view them in or ideally compare two binary files? My
>next step is to experiment with hidden partition types. If
>that works I will file an RFE against anaconda to write more
>failsafe grub rules by hiding the linux partitions.
>Preliminary experiments would indicate that changing the
>partition to a hidden type doesn't help. I am not sure if that
>is all the "hide" command does in grub.

Are you using LVM?  W2k might mistake it for a Windows volume due to the
partition filesystem type.  W2k could be performing a sanity check and
whacking out at the presence of the foreign partition.  Try partitioning
the second one type ext3 or Reiser to see if that helps.

--

Shawn Iverson
Technology Associate
shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us