init 3 problem revisited.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Aug 31 23:39:10 UTC 2005

People's answers to me have set me on the right track and here is what
I have observed now. I just can't understand that no one else has
noticed this glitch.

I made the shifting to init 3 in a terminal more mysterious than it
really is. crl-alt-f1 takes you into a terminal. Login as root and
run init 3. The machine seems to be hung but typing ctl-alt-f2 takes
you into another terminal window where of course you are not logged
on. Then typing ctrl-alt-f1 again will take you back  to the first
terminal where you are logged on and in into level 3.

So as people have suggested the going into init level 3 is occurring
but what is not occurring is the last step in a problem we used to
have on previous fedoras where going into init 3 would stop at the
anacron stop step. To get a prompt you would have to hit return.
Now the return is not accepted and the machine seems to be hung.

Maybe a bugzilla is needed.

The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't know where to go
to erase it.
		-- Glaser and Way
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science