Linux newbie question: problems using XDMCP to remotely start KDE session from a Windows PC

Sundarapandian A sundarapandian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 11:31:30 UTC 2005

There is one more easy way of doing this. Just follow the steps below

1) Make sure you have XFree86 with cygwin is installed on your XP, ssh
is available on XP machine <you can use telnet also>, X server is
running on linux/unix host, sshd is running on linux/unix host.
2) Make sure your <cygwin dir>/usr/X11R6/bin is specified in PATH then
start X Windows using the command "XWin.exe -fullscreen -clipboard
-unixkill -nowinkill"
3) Now you will get XWindows sceen without any applications or window
(You can use ALT+TAB to switch between windows and XWindows)
4) Start xterm on your XP machine (terminal will appear on xwindow screen)
5) On the command prompt of xterm say "xhost <linux/unix server name or IP>"
6) Now on xterm type the command "ssh <username at linux/unix
servername>" enter password to complete the login
7) On the xterm now type "export DISPLAY=<windows XP hostname/IP>:0.0
8) Now on xterm execute "startkde &"
9) Boooom!! now you'll see KDE on your XP machine!!!!

NOTE:
     To check if your sshd is running on your linux/unix machine use
command "service sshd status". If not running start it by "service
sshd start".

Regards,
Sundar.