ReiserFS & EXT2/3

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 1 19:53:48 UTC 2005

Ian Malone wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> Matthew Miller wrote:

>>> You know a bug, you want it fixed, you file a bug report. Even with
>>> the best
>>> intentions, it's hard for developers to keep track of things things from
>>> outside of the system -- that's why there *is* a system.
>>

>> I don't see where he ever said he wanted ext3 fixed, so I don't
>> see where he has any obligation to file a defect report.
>>
>> I have been a developer myself since 1980, so I think I know
>> why defect tracking systems exist.
>>

> Correct, the OP did not express a desire to have it fixed.
> Paradoxically the OP expressed an interest in having a stable
> file system.  If you really care about having something work
> well it's in your interest to particpate in the development
> process, even if that only means giving a little feedback.

I don't see that as being paradoxical. He seems not to care
whether ext3 has a defect, except in making a decision not
to use it. Perhaps he has more interest in reiserfs. If so,
then presumably he will make defect reports.

> The alternative when you meet a bug is to label the software
> as having failed and move onto something else, but that
> approach is eventually going to be exhausted.

It is not the only other choice. I outlined another above:
report defects on software you are interested in. This is
what most people do.

Do you make defect reports against Windows? Or do you simply
not use it any more than you must?

But the topic begins to drift, I fear.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.