theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

V P list307 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 02:50:25 UTC 2005

On 12/2/05, Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> Let me put it differently. Root's UID is 0 - suppose I change UID 0's User
> Login to 'doorknob' - first, can this be done? Second, would I have to create
Se my previous mail regarding this.

> a new home directory called 'doorknob'?
Nope. The path to the home folder is specified in /etc/passwd. If you
don't change that, there is no need to create a new home

> Third, are there any implications,
> doing this, for other software and/or settings in a Linux PC?
Several, "su -" broke when I tried that.

> Fourth - if
> this shouldn't be done, can a new user, say UID 15, be created with all the
> same privileges as root, and can root then be purged?
I'd say that root shouldn't be pruged, for the same reasons as point 3.

vjp

--
Registered Linux User #374218

Minister of Offense, Preserver of the Way
of the Great Llama, Ambassador to India
for the Republic of Loungevania