graphical ftp client

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Dec 2 03:00:30 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:57:21PM -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>>akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

>>>With  that program you get all the insecurity of ftp instead of sftp.
>>>Is that not right?
>>>

>>If you are getting information that is not confidential, why worry if
>>you are using sftp or ftp? If it is sniffed there is no loss.
>>
>>Jim
>>

>Well first as a mea culpa gftp handles sftp .
>Second, It is you passwd that you don't want sniffed so sftp is
>important for security.

I usually use ftp on sites that do not require passwords. I did not see
any security risk there with using ftp. I never thought about
transferring information from one user account on a computer to another
user account on another computer. Sftp would be safer in that situation.
Well at least I learned something that I did not know before. For
situations where security is a concern, gftp can do sftp, live and learn.

Jim

--
Don't change the reason, just change the excuses!
		-- Joe Cointment