theoretical question - can root's username be changed?

John Gallagher john.gallagher at ciosystems.com
Fri Dec 2 05:27:53 UTC 2005

> Best to save feeble attempts of security through obscurity for Windows.

I find this argument interesting and I see it a lot on various distribution
lists.

However, lets say that you get a lot of noise on port 22 (An anyone who is
running ssh on port 22 open to the world is getting a lot of noise).

If you run ssh on another port is that security by obscurity?

Or is it a good Idea because you do not need to filter out all of the crap
in the logs and you can concentrate on the real issues at hand. If someone
is hacking ssh on a port other than 22 then just maybe you would pay a
little bit more attention.

With that said,  you can do almost anything you want if you have a good
reason.  Even run Windows or delete root....

John