Running a 64bit and 32bit fedora at the same time

Harald Grossauer harald.grossauer at uibk.ac.at
Fri Dec 2 13:39:15 UTC 2005

>     * /From/: "Bill Rugolsky Jr." <brugolsky telemetry-investments com>
>     * /To/: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list redhat com>
>     * /Subject/: Re: Running a 64bit and 32bit fedora at the same time
>     * /Date/: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 10:03:53 -0500

>On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:14:23AM +0100, Harald Grossauer wrote:
>> I have an Athlon64 system with FC4-x86_64 running. For several reasons I
>> also would like to have a FC3_i386 system running at the same time. How
>> can I do that?
>
>I created an LVM2 logical-volume per distro release, e.g., fc3-i386,
>and then used QEMU to install from the DVD images.  I was surprised that
>it worked so well.  After the installation, I manually fixed up the
>environment (/etc/modprobe.conf, etc.) to also run with User-Mode Linux.
>Xen will of course provide better performance.

Unfortunately it did not work for me. I could install FC3 into a qemu
disk image using an FC3 DVD ISO (I had to rename the .iso to .img,
otherwise qemu would not recognize it). I did a standard workstation
installation and it hung when installing indent. After "rebooting" the
qemu machine the installation continued with firefox as the only package
left and then finished. When trying to "boot" the installed image with
qemu it hangs immediately after the message "booting from hard disk"
with CPU usage (of the host OS) at 100%.

I think I will give it up...