basic operations

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Dec 2 19:28:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:33, Phet Whore Meyer wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> Ive recently left the dark and moved into linux, i just have this one query
> for now:
> In windows all programs were installed into a folder called 'Program Files',
> in linux, where is that equivelant folder? What is it called?
>
> I know that this question is fairly trivial, is there anywhere else i can go
> to find out basic information such as this?
>
> I greatly appreciate the help.

One good way to figure out what commands are available is to use the
command apropos.

apropos keyword

Where keyword is something you are trying to do like:

apropos filesystem

apropos searches the whatis database for matches and lists short
descriptions of system commands that match.

You may need to create the whatis database by running
/usr/sbin/makewhatis.

You can then use the man command to get details on each of the commands
listed.

man ls

man man

Under linux many of the commands are in /usr/bin  but you will find some
packages install commands in other locations as well.