Automatic email relay agent?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sat Dec 3 13:53:38 UTC 2005

Am Fr, den 02.12.2005 schrieb Hongwei Li um 22:45:

> After adding:
>
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=submission, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
>
> in sendmail.mc, run m4 and restart sendmail, I tested OE and Outlook (set
> outgoing port 587 and use ssl connection) in many different ways on different
> computers.  I found that with Norton Antivirus enabled, Outlook (my version is
> 2003) works well, but OE (version 6) does not work -- cannot send emails out,
> no matter pop3 or imap is used in OE or Outlook.   Any more idea or
> suggestion?

> Hongwei

I feared that would be the case.
I would move anti-virus testing from clients to the mail server - at
least for outgoing mail and especially for those roaming users. Let them
switch off outbound mail checking by Norton Antivirus and on your
Sendmail mail server install clamav-milter to let it check for virus'.
Another good idea is to kick and ban such horrible software like OE.
There are much better 'free' alternates like Thunderbird.

Alexander

Serendipity 14:49:22 up 35 days, 12:49, load average: 0.94, 0.70, 0.51