basic operations

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Sat Dec 3 18:37:31 UTC 2005

At 8:03 AM -0600 12/3/05, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 14:28 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>> On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:33, Phet Whore Meyer wrote:
>> > To whom it may concern,
>> >
>> > Ive recently left the dark and moved into linux, i just have this one
>>query
>> > for now:
>> > In windows all programs were installed into a folder called 'Program
>>Files',
>> > in linux, where is that equivelant folder? What is it called?
>> >
>> > I know that this question is fairly trivial, is there anywhere else i
>>can go
>> > to find out basic information such as this?
>> >
>> > I greatly appreciate the help.
>>
>> One good way to figure out what commands are available is to use the
>> command apropos.
>>
>> apropos keyword
>>
>> Where keyword is something you are trying to do like:
>>
>> apropos filesystem
>>
>> apropos searches the whatis database for matches and lists short
>> descriptions of system commands that match.
>>
>Uhhhh,   Don't you mean that apropos searches the man pages to find
>things that match?

No, he meant what he said.  Apropos does not search man pages; it greps the
whatis database, which is constructed by makewhatis from the man page
headers, not from the man page bodies.  Apropos is a shell script, which
you can read if you want to.

Plug:  I have an improved apropos that handles multiple words in a useful
way: <http://georgeanelson.com/apropos2.htm>