Installing Firefox-1.5

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sun Dec 4 18:35:16 UTC 2005

Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 04 December 2005 11:46, Paul Smith wrote:

> >On 12/4/05, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:

> >> The latest firefox-1.5.tar.gz doesn't contain anything that looks
> >> like an installer.

> >> So whats the usual procedure?  And in the case of most installers,
> >> how do you protect the plugins directory so that you don't have to
> >> re-install the whole maryann of them from all the varied sources?

> >Gene: are you intending to install Firefox in your home directory?

> Nah, I usually am root, so its a global install I guess.  The existing
> installs are in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib.

I do a lot of cross-platform Mozilla QA. On Linux I put all the
Mozilla.org builds in /usr/local by simply copying the contents of the
tar.gz or tar.bz2 archive into my choice of location with mc. The only
real "installation" involves creating whatever desktop shortcuts are
desired. Most of the time I skip that and start from Konsole.
"Installing" this way prevents any "installation" from creating dep
conflicts with the release version(s) from the distro.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/