moving /home

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Dec 5 08:16:09 UTC 2005

On Mon December 5 2005 2:43 am, Tim wrote:
> Claude Jones:
> > I'm trying to understand the fstab man page, but I'm still not getting
> > something. From man fstab:
> >
> > "Instead of giving the device explicitly, one may indicate the (ext2
> > or xfs) filesystem that is to be mounted by its UUID or volume label
> > (cf. e2label(8) or xfs_admin(8)), writing LABEL=<label> or
> > UUID=<uuid>, e.g., ‘LABEL=Boot’ or
> > ‘UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6’.   This will make the
> > system more robust: adding or removing a SCSI disk changes the disk
> > device name but not the filesystem volume label."
>
> Which means something along the lines that if your (current) /dev/hdb3
> partition was labelled as being "/home"..........snip........ lots of advice

Thanks, Tim. I went on quite an odyssey, today. All these matters I now
understand quite well. I still have a baffling issue, but that's another
story. Working in the world of Windows for so many years, it took a little
time to wrap the concepts around my brain of the Linux file systems and how
they work - it was a very productive day.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA