Question of retrieving data from a mirrored drive.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 04:14:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 21:13, Michael E. Duffy wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > 'cat /proc/mdstat' should show the md# devices that have been
> > recognized and how many active members it has.  To use one,
> > just mount /dev/md#.
>
> cat /proc/mdstat returned:
> Personalities : [Raid0]
> unused devices: <none>
>
> Hmmm.  It's NOT supposed to be Raid0.  If it truly is, I'm doomed I tell
> you, doomed!

Dmesg should show something like this if you had a raid1:
md: raid1 personality registered as nr 3
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: considering hdc1 ...
md:  adding hdc1 ...
md: created md0
md: bind<hdc1>
md: running: <hdc1>
raid1: raid set md0 active with 1 out of 2 mirrors
md: ... autorun DONE.

If you built it with disk druid it's pretty easy to get raid0
accidentally since that's the drop-down default and you have
to change it for raid1.

> To answer your previous question, mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /mnt returned:
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on dev/hdc1,
>         missing codepage or other error

And if you omit the -t ext2?

--
  Les Mikesell