HP 870 Cse + HPIJS 2.14 Printer Driver does not support two-sided print

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 6 04:44:50 UTC 2005

david walcroft wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:

[that he would like access to two-sided printing for his]

>> I have installed and used an HP Deskjet 870 Cse printer for

[snip]

>> Would someone please give me pointers for further research?
>>
>> Thank you for your time in reading this message.
>>
>> Mike
>

> Mike,
>    Look in 'http://localhost:631/printers' > config printers.
> You should find double sided printing check box. Also give the newer
> print package "Hplip" a go.
>
>    david

Thanks very much for the kind response.

It prompted me for a user name and password for CUPS. I used "root" and
my root password, which seemed to work. I see nothing there about
double sided printing. The options are:

Admin

Choose default options for printer1.
	General
	Page Size:
	Printout Mode:

	Printout Mode
	Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type:

	Banners
	Starting Banner:
	Ending Banner:

"Page Size:" has a pull-down for A4, Letter, etc.
"Printout Mode" has a pull-down for Draft, Draft Grayscale, etc.
"Resolution, Quality, Ink Type, Media Type:" has a pull down for 300 dpi
etc.

"Starting Banner:" has a pull-down for None, Classified, etc.
likewise for "Ending Banner:"

These all look like things configurable under GNOME by using
(RedHat)->System Settings->Printing and editing the queue
description tab Driver Options for the relevant queue.

Poking around in the "user's manual" found some information about
two-sided printing, but it looked like changes to the actual
lpr command, and which would be supported only if the printer
supports duplexing, which this one does not.

What am I missing?

Thanks again.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.